You should prioritize finding an orange zest substitute immediately because you may not be able to find orange zest at the supermarket or anywhere one day. You can rely on this article to determine the audience you need to look for.
The article lists all the best alternatives to orange zest for your reference. In addition, countless other helpful information will also appear in this post. Keep a sound mind and slowly enjoy this fantastic article.
Substitute Orange Zest With 18 Fantastic Replacements
This list of 18 incredible alternatives to orange zest will make your cooking more convenient. This list has been carefully researched and tested by me, so you will not be disappointed with the results.
- Grapefruit Zest
- Grapefruit Juice
- Orange Juice
- Orange Peel
- Orange Concentrate
- Orange Marmalade
- Lime Zest
- Lime Juice
- Clementine Zest
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Dry Mango Powder
- Tamarind Paste
- Lemon Zest
- Lemon Juice
- Lemon Extract
- Regular Vinegar
- Limoncello Liqueur
The table below will show you how to use these alternatives of orange zest in cooking. Take a look right now!
|Orange Zest Alternatives||Proportion|
|Grapefruit Zest||1 tsp grapefruit zest = 1 tsp orange zest|
|Grapefruit Juice||1 ½ tsp grapefruit juice = 1 tsp orange zest|
|Orange Juice||1 tsp orange juice = 1 tsp orange zest|
|Orange Peel||1 part of orange peel = 1 part of orange zest|
|Orange Concentrate||2 tsp orange concentrate = 1 tsp orange zest|
|Orange Marmalade||Use a small amount, taste, and increase if necessary|
|Lime Zest||½ tsp lime zest = 1 tsp orange zest|
|Lime Juice||Use a small amount, taste, and increase|
|Clementine Zest||1 part of clementine zest = 1 part of orange zest|
|Apple Cider Vinegar||½ tsp apple cider vinegar = 1 tsp orange zest|
|Dry Mango Powder||Use a small amount, taste, and increase|
|Tamarind Paste||Use a small amount, taste, and increase|
|Lemon Zest||½ tsp lemon zest = ½ tsp orange zest|
|Lemon Juice||2 tsp lemon juice (mix with honey) = 1 tsp orange zest|
|Lemon Extract||Use a small amount, taste, and increase|
|Lemongrass||Use a small amount, taste, and increase|
|Regular Vinegar||1 tsp regular vinegar = 1 tsp orange zest|
|Limoncello Liqueur||Use a small amount, taste, and increase|
Some Things That You Need To Know About Orange Zest
There are many ways that you can utilize parts of an orange. You can squeeze oranges to get juice or eat the oranges directly. There is one part that you can use to add to dishes is orange zest.
- 11 Best Sage Substitutes From Basil to Italian Seasoning
- Garam Masala Substitute – 10+ Excellent Alternatives In 2023
- Chipotle Powder Substitute – 10+ Best Alternatives In 2023
- Tomatillo Substitute – 9 Options Will Not Let You Down
- Nigella Seeds Substitute – 11 Other Options To Save Your Dishes
- 20 Kirsch Substitutes That Are Both Non-Alcohol And Alcohol
- 12 Great Fennel Seed Substitutes You Can Find Easily in 2023
- Substitute For Parsnips – 18 Common Choices Without Parsnips
Orange zest is the colored outer layer of the orange peel. Chefs often use it to add fruity and citrus flavors to dishes, especially desserts. Moreover, orange zest also brings a characteristic aroma as well as color to words.
The taste of orange zest is so strong, and you can feel a bit of bitterness when you taste orange zest. It will secrete oil to bring flavor and aroma to the dish. Because of its strong flavor, you only need a small amount to give the word a distinctive flavor.
The color of orange zest depends on the color of the outer layer of the orange, but the orange zest is usually orange or yellow. It has a relatively soft texture. Orange zest will bring a delicate and seductive fragrance to your plates.
Using These Wonderful Substitutes When Running Out Of Orange Zest
You will not be tired of not buying orange zest anymore with these beautiful alternatives. They are the best and most optimal options that I have spent a lot of time testing. Continue reading to find out what they are.
1. Grapefruit Zest Is A Fantastic Alternative
There are many wonderful dishes made from grapefruit peel. You should take advantage of grapefruit zest to replace orange zest. The advantage of grapefruit zest is its intense citrus flavor. It will satisfy your taste buds.
Grapefruit zest has a sour and tart taste, a bit of sweetness, and is not as bitter as orange zest. Grapefruit zest will add flavor, aroma, and color to salads, marinades, or teas. 1 tablespoon grapefruit zest instead of 1 tablespoon orange zest is the suitable amount.
2. Another Substitute From Grapefruit Is Grapefruit Juice
I have to mention grapefruit juice in my list of alternatives to orange zest. The effect is as good as grapefruit zest. Fresh grapefruit juice at home or purchased from the stores will add a citrus flavor to the dish.
It goes incredibly well with cocktails, mocktails, and other drinks. Moreover, salad dressings and sauce will become more fragrant and attractive with grapefruit juice. Using a ratio 1.5:1 is the best option.
3. The Simplest Alternative Is Orange Juice
If you do not have orange zest, you can use orange juice in the fridge instead. Although it is not the most suitable option, it still gives the citrus flavor and aroma you need. Orange juice will be fully effective when used in baked goods.
You can add orange juice to the cakes or filling. In addition, orange juice has tangy and fruit flavors that are perfect for adding to salad dressings, cocktails, and marinades.
With 1 teaspoon of orange juice, you can substitute for 1 teaspoon of orange zest. To keep the characteristic citrus aroma, you should add orange juice a few minutes before finishing the dish.
4. Orange Peel – Best Option For Orange Zest Substitute
Orange peel is a good alternative to orange zest. Orange peel has 2 layers, which are zest and pith. The orange peel will give the dish an orange zest-like citrus flavor. However, its taste will be more bitter.
You can replace orange zest with fresh or dried orange peel. Dried orange peel will bring better effect and be less bitter than fresh form. Add orange peels to give orange flavor to the dish and discard when the food is done.
Using orange peel as a substitute for orange zest in stews and sauces will bring the best results. It will not work well with cakes. Using an equal substitute amount would be a good choice.
Find out the reasons why you should collect orange peel immediately.
5. Orange Concentrate – A Variation Of Orange Juice
The orange concentrate is an alternative that you can get after removing some of the liquid from the orange juice. It has a thick texture, I do not recommend using it often as a substitute for orange zest.
Orange concentrate gives a stronger flavor than orange juice. It has high sweetness and is suitable for adding to sauces to give them a variety of flavors. One teaspoon of orange zest should be replaced with two teaspoons of orange concentrate.
6. Orange Marmalade – Best Alternative For Desserts
Orange marmalade is a perfect choice for desserts. Orange marmalade will give great flavor to dishes instead of orange zest. Its citrus flavor would be a perfect complement to orange zest. This is an ingredient that you can find in many places.
You will love the tangy flavor of orange marmalade when enjoying desserts. However, if you pay close attention, you will feel the bitter taste after eating orange marmalade. Using a reasonable amount for your recipes.
Following these directions to create fantastic orange marmalade to substitute for orange zest.
7. Expand The List With Lime Zest
If you have already used lemon zest to replace orange zest, there is no reason to refuse lime zest. Lemon and lime have the same taste and scent. The difference that you can easily recognize is the color.
The peel of lime is green and thinner than that of a lemon. Lime zest is often used to garnish savory and sweet dishes to add citrus flavor and color to dishes. It is also a fantastic option in salad dressings, sauces, and marinades.
Lime zest has a strong and bitter taste, so you should use a moderate amount of lime zest in dishes. Half a teaspoon of lime zest will give the same flavor as 1 teaspoon of orange zest.
8. These Are The Reasons Why Should Choose Lime Juice
Lime juice is a commonly used ingredient in cuisine. It is an indispensable component to make beautiful guacamole. The lime juice flavor is quite intense with a sour, bitter taste and a bit of sweetness when the lime is ripe.
The lime juice flavor is suitable to replace orange zest for salad dressings, sauces, cocktails, sangria, and fillings. Besides, it is also a fantastic choice to add to fish and seafood containers. Add enough because its strong taste can ruin your dishes.
9. It Is A Pity If You Do Not Mention Clementine Zest In This List
Clementine zest is the perfect alternative to orange zest. Clementine is a cross-breeding of sweet orange and tangerine, so its sweetness is more than other oranges. Clementine zest will create the same taste as orange zest.
Clementine zest will add a distinctive citrus flavor and color to cocktails, poached chicken, baked foods, and other mouthwatering dishes. The perfect substitution ratio of these two types of zest is 1:1.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar Is A Shocking Substitute
You will probably be surprised to see apple cider vinegar on this list, but it is a good alternative to orange zest. Apple cider vinegar is a great substitute for adding a nutty and attractive flavor to dishes, especially baked goods.
Apple cider vinegar will help make muffins and cakes softer and more fluffy. Using ½ parts of apple cider vinegar as a substitute for 1 part of orange zest will give you the flavor you want. If you do not like the sour taste of it, you should add a bit of honey.
Explore the secrets of apple cider vinegar effects to understand more about the substitute. You can see this video to know more:
11. Dry Mango Powder – India Famous Spice
A popular spice in Indian cuisine that you can use as a substitute for orange zest is dry mango powder. Its taste will be a perfect substitute for orange zest. The bright yellow color of dried mango powder will add a splash of color to your recipe.
Dry mango powder has a tangy taste, you should use it in savory dishes if you can not find orange zest in the kitchen. Add a moderate amount to the dish and increase if you feel the flavor is not satisfactory.
12. Tamarind Paste – Sour Orange Zest Substitute
Tamarind paste will stimule your taste buds after enjoying dishes that contain tamarind paste.
Perhaps, you will be surprised by the appearance of tamarind paste in this list. Tamarind paste will not give a citrus flavor. Its taste is entirely different from orange zest. However, its pleasant scent will make you have to think again.
A tangy flavor will be added to your dish, especially savory dishes. You should use a little tamarind paste, taste the dish, and adjust to the best flavor. It is ingenious if you can smell the smoky flavor of tamarind paste.
13. Making Dishes With Lemon Zest Instead Of Orange Zest
Do not worry if you don’t have orange zest, lemon zest will help you add citrus and fruity flavor to your dishes. In fact, lemon is an indispensable ingredient in your kitchen, so you can easily get the lemon zest.
You should remove the stem of the lemon so that your dishes do not become bitter. Lemon zest is often used in marinades, baked dishes, lemon pies, and other desserts. Substituting in an equal ratio will bring out the best taste.
You should not use a lot of lemon zest because it tastes pretty bitter. ½ teaspoon of lemon zest to substitute ½ teaspoon of orange zest is a reasonable amount. You can add a little honey to sweeten the lemon zest.
14. Taking Advantage Of Lemon Juice To Substitute For Orange Zest
Use lemon juice instead of orange zest, the results will make you satisfied. Lemon juice has a stronger flavor than orange zest. Its acid and bitter taste can affect the quality of the dish, so please use a reasonable amount.
If you want to be extra sure, you should add a bit of honey or sugar to lemon juice to make it as sweet as you want. You can taste lemon juice in Thai dishes, salad dressings, fish, and seafood dishes.
The texture of jams or jellies is better with lemon juice, thanks to its low PH level. As a substitute for each teaspoon of orange zest, you should use 2 teaspoons of lemon juice after mixing with honey.
15. Lemon Extract Will Be An Amazing Replacement
The lemon extract will replace orange zest for a strong citrus flavor. It has a more robust flavor than lemon juice and zest. Lemon extract is made by soaking lemon peel or lemon zest in vodka for about 4 weeks.
The acid content of the lemon extract is quite high, so you should not use it if you do not like the strong acidic taste in the dish. In case you still want to add lemon extract, you should use 1/2 parts of lemon extract instead of 1 part of orange zest.
Learn these directions to make fantastic lemon extract at home correctly.
16. Lemongrass Is A Special Choice To Substitute For Orange Zest
You can consider lemongrass as a wonderful replacement for orange zest. Finding lemongrass is straightforward. Lemongrass will give dishes a light green color. The flavor of lemongrass is a blend of lemon, ginger, and floral flavors.
You can use lemongrass in various forms, such as fresh, chopped, or ground to substitute for orange zest. It will make the dish more full of flavor and aroma. Lemongrass is suitable for meats, soups, and sauces.
Learn some ways and tips to use lemongrass in cooking effectively. You can see this video to know more:
17. Using Regular Vinegar Instead Of Orange Zest
You can use regular vinegar when you can not find apple cider vinegar. Regular vinegar often has a solid and sour taste, so you need to taste them before using them. Regular vinegar is usually used in savory dishes and desserts.
Use 1 teaspoon of regular vinegar in place of 1 teaspoon of orange zest when you want a normal tangy taste. Replace 1 teaspoon of orange zest with half a teaspoon of vinegar if you feel the vinegar is too acidic. Add a little honey or sugar to lessen the taste.
18. Limoncello Liqueur – Perfect Choice For Cocktails
You cannot find orange zest for cocktails, limoncello liqueur will replace orange zest in this recipe. This is a drink that is used pretty much in the dish, so you can be assured of the taste it will bring.
Besides replacing orange zest in cocktails, you can also add limoncello liqueur to desserts to give them a new flavor. Taste the dish after adding the limoncello liqueur, and adjust to bring out the perfect flavor.
It is simple to make fantastic limoncello liqueur at home to replace for orange zest.
Best Methods To Zest Orange
Zest orange requires care and precision so as not to touch the white layer of the orange peel. There are 3 basic ways that you can apply zest orange effectively. Let’s do it together!
1. Using Grater To Zest Orange
Grating is a convenient and straightforward method to zest orange. You only need to prepare a grater and spend a little time to have the orange zest to use in dishes. Do not miss any of the steps below to zest orange correctly.
- Step 1: Place the grater at a 45-degree angle to the cutting board, and hold the grater handle with your hand.
- Step 2: Put the orange on the grater, scrape from top to bottom, and vice versa. Repeat until the white shell is reached.
- Step 3: Rotate the orange to the ungrated position and continue working with the remaining positions on the orange peel.
- Step 4: Put the whole orange zest in a cup to use.
2. Microplane Will Help You Zest Orange Properly
If you do not have a grater in your house, you can use a Microplane to zest orange. The operation to zest orange with the Microplane is similar to using the grater. The following instructions will be helpful to you.
- Step 1: Use your hand to hold the Microplane at a 45-degree angle to the cutting board.
- Step 2: Slide the orange from top to bottom; you should not use too much pressure.
- Step 3: When you find a white crust, rotate the orange slightly to keep zesting other positions.
- Step 4: Collect orange zest dropped on the cutting board to use.
3. Zesting Orange By Vegetable Peeler Or Knife
You can also use a vegetable peeler or knife to zest orange. These are two devices that are always available in your kitchen. Zest orange with a peeler or knife is pretty simple. Let’s do it together right now.
- Step 1: Hold the orange with your hand
- Step 2: Place the peeler or knife on the surface of the orange peel, and slide. You need to use moderate pressure to remove the outer layer of the orange without touching the white inner skin.
- Step 3: Keep moving to another area to zest.
- Step 4: Chop orange zest slices into small pieces to use.
Listen to some methods on how to zest orange effectively for cooking ingredients. You can see this video to know more:
Fantastic Health Benefits Of Orange Zest
Besides bringing citrus and flavor to dishes, orange zest also brings many good values for your health. So, what are the health benefits of orange zest?
- Orange zest contains many vital nutrients for the body, such as fiber, vitamin C, calcium, vitamin B6, and many other nutrients. Orange zest includes polyphenols that help prevent diseases.
- The hesperidin and flavonoids in orange zest help control blood pressure and blood cholesterol.
- Orange peel and orange zest help prevent the growth of cancer cells and reduce the risks of lung cancer and skin cancer (1).
- Orange zest also supports fat burning and improves metabolism. This is very beneficial for weight loss.
- Orange peel and orange zest have anti-inflammatory properties. They will improve digestive function (2).
- The vitamin C and A in orange zest will boost immune system health and better fight viruses and bacteria.
The questions about substitutes for orange zest are endless, and I will answer some of the frequently asked questions on this topic. You can find other exciting information from here.
It Is Time To Change Orange Zest By Another Ingredient
Are you satisfied with the substitutes for orange zest that I have provided? If you liked them, please like and share this post now. You will have the opportunity to experience many new flavors and different ingredients when you know the alternative elements.
I love to enjoy citrus-flavored foods because the aroma of citrus is extremely seductive and attractive. From now on, you can diversify the ingredients to create a citrus flavor for the dish with these substitutes. Thanks for reading!
References.“Anticancer Activities of Citrus Peel Polymethoxyflavones Related to Angiogenesis and Others.” https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4163462/. .“Flavonoid composition of orange peel and its association with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities.” https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27719891/.
- Substitute Orange Zest With 18 Fantastic Replacements
- Some Things That You Need To Know About Orange Zest
- Using These Wonderful Substitutes When Running Out Of Orange Zest
- 1. Grapefruit Zest Is A Fantastic Alternative
- 2. Another Substitute From Grapefruit Is Grapefruit Juice
- 3. The Simplest Alternative Is Orange Juice
- 4. Orange Peel – Best Option For Orange Zest Substitute
- 5. Orange Concentrate – A Variation Of Orange Juice
- 6. Orange Marmalade – Best Alternative For Desserts
- 7. Expand The List With Lime Zest
- 8. These Are The Reasons Why Should Choose Lime Juice
- 9. It Is A Pity If You Do Not Mention Clementine Zest In This List
- 10. Apple Cider Vinegar Is A Shocking Substitute
- 11. Dry Mango Powder – India Famous Spice
- 12. Tamarind Paste – Sour Orange Zest Substitute
- 13. Making Dishes With Lemon Zest Instead Of Orange Zest
- 14. Taking Advantage Of Lemon Juice To Substitute For Orange Zest
- 15. Lemon Extract Will Be An Amazing Replacement
- 16. Lemongrass Is A Special Choice To Substitute For Orange Zest
- 17. Using Regular Vinegar Instead Of Orange Zest
- 18. Limoncello Liqueur – Perfect Choice For Cocktails
- Best Methods To Zest Orange
- Fantastic Health Benefits Of Orange Zest
- It Is Time To Change Orange Zest By Another Ingredient
- Orange Zest Substitute